Song Of The Day: Rara

00:58


Rara is an indigenous song by Muyiwa featuring Tofa and was produced by Nonso Amadi. It was released was released a few days ago the 18th of this month to be precise. I remember when I first listened to the song, I told Muyiwa how it reminded me of Brymo (the Merchants Dealers and Slave era to be precise) which led to a considerably long and interesting conversation. 
It's a story, well more like an expression of heartbreak; how the person in question had been utterly disappointing and hadn't lived up to lofty expectation attached to them. The song has this traditional vibe going on with the drums, gongs amongst other instruments, also the alteration between English and Yoruba really enforced the traditional direction. 
To me the song was well constructed from the pace, to the elaborate instruments, to the emotions etched through the vocals, how the instrument were given time to play out alone at certain times really did it for me. Although I wish the verses were a little longer and had a little more content but it was still fine notwithstanding. 
I can't wait to hear more from Muyiwa, it think he has an Extended Play coming out soon that's some I would be keep my eyes out for. If you're a lover of soulful, heartfelt and artistic music I especially recommend you give this song a listen

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe