Album Focus: 23 to Life

10:40


Uhm I need to work on how I name stuff, that being said this isn't an album album I mean it has just four songs but we move. One thing I enjoy about music is an apparent development in individuals sounds. I've been listening to Dusten Truce for a while and watched how he's working and is creating a "voice that's very distinct. In this body of work he entire embraced a hip hop direction as opposed to more mixes genres which he usually embraces.
He starts off the tape with Pablo Dieziani 1.0 which is probably my favorite song of the tape for a number of reasons.Well  it's a very conscious description of current happenings and the situation of Nigerian society  from a perspective that I personally relate to especially where he goes "I turn my tv on/ they just returned 10 billion/ and I'm here thinking where my next 2k is coming from..." I also love the fact that the instrumental is actually from Future's "I'm so groovy" , I had actually listened to the song for almost a month before I found out, then for some reason it allowed me like the song a lot more.
Then came 23 to Life which I actually think should have started the tape. It's pretty introspective, he gets descriptive about how he sees himself, his relationships with several people; notably some deceased who have helped him in past time who he pays his respects to. His mother and other individuals who have influenced him through their words or some personal experiences.
I particularly like the change up close to the end of "Too Much" where Dusten comes stronger and is very fluid with his delivery. Finally he rounds up the tape with Ovedue which has a much slower tempo and a very  laid back vibe. It's a  reminiscent description of of young love and a reuniting kinda.
Overall I think it's a very good body of work, I wish it had a few more songs and featured a few more people. Other than that it was splendid. I genuinely look forward to hearing more sound from Dusten Truce and if you haven't heard I recommend you give it a listen. (Check it out here on Sound Cloud).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe